academic search engines - for students and educators
Compiled by Carol Dimon RGN, Dip N, BSc (Hons) nursing studies, MMedSci, PGCE
If you need to be certain that your data is accurate, use academic search engines, which are connected to journals, newspapers, university publications, encyclopedias and other trustworthy documents so you can list findings and build a bibliography on which you can put your name with assurance. When you are performing research for an important report, article or other document, typing a search term into your favorite Internet search engine may not be the answer. The web is teeming with wikis and content sites that often contain unreliable information. Some links returned by search engines lead to pages crammed with advertising links. Doing research online can be a daunting experience for both students and educators, which is why you need to use academic search engines which are specific to academia.
Academic search engines provide research-quality content from websites that are screened by experts in a particular field. These search engines search the 'deep web', which is material not available through general search engines. The 'deep web' contains information included in searchable databases and archives. By using these academic search engines, students and teachers can obtain research quality information without having to weed out non-authoritative and advertising sites. When we complain that we can't find anything during research, what we actually are stating is that we have not looked in the right places. Users can be sure that academic search engines will not return sites of dubious quality and research value that broader search engines may return.
The last link given on the following list is for Hartford University, and gives 'detailed explanations and actual samples of college-level writing ....... assignment analysis, the writing process, and research strategies', and may be of particular use to students. The link (13) to SWEET SEARCH also provides a tutorial - Teaching Web Research Skills to Educators and Students - which may be of use to both educators and students.
The list containes searchable data bases that are particularly relevant to my areas of research - nursing/health and social care/education/philosophy - but are not confined to these areas. The information provided will range from abstracts to full articles, cover a range of countries, and give both historical and recent perspectives.
1. BIELFELD UNIVERSITY ACADEMIC SEARCH ENGINE - http://www.base-search.net/
2. COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY ACADEMIC COMMONS - http://academiccommons.columbia.edu/
3. REFSEEK ACADEMIC SEARCH ENGINE - http://www.refseek.com/
4. MICROSOFT ACADEMIS SEARCH - http://academic.research.microsoft.com/
5. ACADEMIC INDEX SEARCH ENGINE - http://www.academicindex.net/
6. THE COCHRANE LIBRARY - http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/
7. NOESIS PHILOSOPHICAL RESEARCH ONLINE - http://noesis.evansville.edu/
8. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SOCIOLOGY - http://www2.lse.ac.uk/BJS/Home.aspx
9. SCIRUS SEARCH ENGINE - http://www.scirus.com/srsapp/
10. AMERICAN NURSES ASSOCIATION - http://www.nursingworld.org/
11. INGENTACONNECT - http://www.ingentaconnect.com/
12. TAYLOR AND FRANCIS - http://www.tandfonline.com/
13. SWEET SEARCH - A SEARCH ENGINE FOR STUDENTS - http://www.sweetsearch.com/
14. WILEY ONLINE LIBRARY - http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/
15. SPRINGER LINK - http://link.springer.com/
16. PSYCLINE - http://www.psycline.org/
17. ERIC - http://www.eric.ed.gov/
18. COMPLETE PLANET DEEP WEB DIRECTORY - http://aip.completeplanet.com/
19. INFOMINE DEEP WEB DIRECTORY - http://infomine.ucr.edu/
20. ROCKET NEWS - http://www.rocketnews.com/
21. HARTFORD UNIVERSITY - http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/RLC/analyzing.html
If you have any other links that you feel may be of benefit to others, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Dimon is an experienced RGN and qualified lecturer at FE and HE level. She is able to provide pre-marking of health and social care assignments at diploma and degree level. Please contact: http://healthandsocialcareassignment.webs.com/
copywrite c dimon 2013